Skip to main content

Learning to Drive and More

“Do you think the truck driver knows theory? You will learn by pure practice” Probably these are the enlightening words that are responsible for me to be driving in Mumbai today.

I would have probably not ventured to learn to drive if I was not going to Australia; people told me if I did not learn to drive, I would not be able to move around. Taking this as a cue, I started, probably like most of us in India, by going to a driving school to learn to drive a four wheeler. It was a 2 weeks, 5 days a week, 30 minutes a day crash course in one of those Maruti 800 (I am sure you guessed right; there were no Santro's, Indica's then) which was not easy to handle. I figured out that I need to call my driving teacher “Master” and butter him with the hope that he would teach me a trick or two or atleast not not say “you do not know how to drive”.
It was time for getting the license. Come at 1000 and you need to give a test. I am not too confident, having always driven in the comfort of not having full control on the break and the clutch, it was a different domain altogether. On the other hand it was acceptable that I confide in my driving teacher and say that I was not confident. Unprepared I am in the RTO. “You will need to drive for a couple of meters and then put the car in the reverse and park it” was mentioned and I wondered how I would I complete all the chapters.
Come 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500. No news of the test and lo the driving school person comes and say “Aap pass ho gaye”. Am confused. He says come and collect the driving license on a certain date. And here I am, licensed to kill (nay drive) without the skills. This is what a huge population does. Gives you a free license.
Probably there is a certain degree of honesty in all of us. I refuse to drive, what if I have the license. I pack my license and keep it safe.
A month in Brisbane, Australia. I start hunting for a car, feels it is good to have because public transport is not very great. I call up one of the driving schools and pick up an hours or learning. I proudly say that I have an Indian license assuming that I will be driving an automatic and the only thing that I have to do is make sure I keep on the road. The roads are anyway not that dense!
The car that comes for my first driving lesson is a geared vehicle! He says that I did not ask him particularly for a automatic, so end up paying for it without trying to expose my inability to change gears without assistance (when to change etc)!
Next time I make sure to ask for an automatic. I pick up 2 hours of classes at a time for a couple of time and shell out a decent amount of $'s. I pick up the nuances of driving in Brisbane, turn abouts, side parking and make sure I drive atleast once from home to work and work to home to get conversant with the route!
Purchased an automatic and drove for more than 30 months without a ticket.
Back in Mumbai. No car. Using public transport. Cool. Until “We should buy a car” come from a high pitched voice. I guess I am in trouble; so I say may be we can buy an automatic so that you can drive easily. “No way, what is the fun of an automatic, we need to have a geared vehicle. Further automatic is expensive” says the high pitched economist in the house. Only alternative is to buy a geared vehicle. But driving in Mumbai? Geared? Traffic? Bothers me.
I am not confident driving in Mumbai, especially geared vehicle I submit meekly. May be I will need to learn some theory I say. “Do you think the truck driver knows theory? You will learn by pure practice” Probably these are the enlightening words that are responsible for me to be driving in Mumbai today.
I take this literally. So the solution, take more driving classes. I pick up 10 hours of driving without wanting a license! A little more confident than earlier (but no better!) I drive first inside the cocoon of the campus always putting away the need to travel outside the campus (Secret: fueling on a Sunday morning when the roads are empty and a route identified so that there is no right turn!) by saying “where will we find parking”, “it is cheaper to take a taxi”, “we can alight right in front of the shop” until there was an invite from IITB campus. The majority in my house say we need to take our car. So that is the first outing.
“You crossed the signal, what is your name? Where is your license” during your first outing. I give my license and pick up a receipt for the fine. Not a good start. Then I get stuck on a slope in a dense traffic near IITB. Take a while to move out of the spot, after quite a bit of sweat, literally. Choose a very late time spot to get back home. Always wonder why there were not fewer gears? Why should the vehicle move backwards when you are in gear one. Why can not the gear be displayed somewhere so that one knows in which gear one was driving. Cursing the technology or the lack innovative idea to make things that were easier for me then.
That was 7.5 years ago. 
Things have changed since then. Two reasons (a) Practice and (b) If a (not so educated) truck driver can drive a truck why can not you?
Written this in some other context.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visualizing Speech Processing Challenges!

Often it is difficult to emphasize the difficulty that one faces during speech signal processing. Thanks to the large population use of speech recognition in the form of Alexa, Google Home when most of us are asking for a very limited information ("call my mother", "play the top 50 international hits" or "switch off the lights") which is quite well captured by the speech recognition engine in the form of contextual knowledge (it knows where you are; it knows your calendar, it know you parents phone number, it knows your preference, it knows your facebook likes .... ). Same Same - Different Different:   You speak X = /My voice is my password/ and I speak Y= /My voice is my password/. In speech recognition both our speech samples (X and Y) need to be recognized as "My voice is my password" while in speaker biometric X has to be attributed to you and and Y has to be attributed to me! In this blog post we try to show   visually   what it means to pro

BITS Pilani Goa Campus - Some Useful Information

You have cleared the BIT Aptitude Test and have got admission to BITS Pilani Goa Campus. Congratulation . Well Done. This is how the main building looks! Read on for some useful information, especially since you are traveling for the first time to the campus and more or less you will face the same scenario that we faced! We were asked report on 29-Jul-2018 (Sunday) to take admission on, 30-Jul-2018.  We reached Madgoan (we traveled by train though the airport is pretty close to the BITS campus, primarily to allow us to carry more luggage!)at around 0700 hours (expect a few drizzles to some good rain - so carry an umbrella) on 29-July-2019. As you come out you will be hounded by several taxi drivers, but the best is to take the official pre-paid taxi. It should cost you INR 700 to reach the BITS campus. We had booked a hotel in Vasco (this is one of the closest suburb from BITS campus, a taxi should charge you around 300-350 INR; you will make plenty of trips!) and

Authorship or Acknowledgement? Order of Authors!

 {Personal views} Being in an R&D organization means there are several instances when you have to write (Scientific or Technical Papers) about what you do in peer reviewed conference or journals.Very often, the resulting work is a team effort and as a consequence most papers, written today, have multiple authors.  Few decades ago, as a research scholar, it was just you and your supervisor as the two sole authors of any output that came out of the PhD exploration. This was indeed true, especially if you were writing a paper based on your ongoing research towards a PhD. In the pre-google days, the trend was to email the second author (usually the supervisor) to ask for a copy of the paper so that you could read the research and hopeful build on it because you knew that the supervisor would be more static in terms of geo coordinates than the scholar.   However the concept of multiple authors for a research article is seeping into academic research as well. These days labs write papers